Monday, August 13, 2012

The week is here

This is the week. The week when we are told our first post. And to distract us they have put so much work before us that I barely have time to think about Friday. I prefer it that way actually. It is nice to have so much to do in the meantime that I don't dwell on it. Well, not any more than I already have been.

Last week has, once again, been fascinating. My time in graduate school is coming back to me very clearly, including the things I was not very good at.

My second to last semester in school I took two classes that were by far the most difficult of my academic career (after Science classes, but those don't count). It wasn't my research or analysis that those classes tested but my writing ability. I was honestly a little shocked because writing was something I've never had trouble with in all my schooling. I worked harder in those two classes than in my undergraduate and graduate career combined. The part that I really had to work on was the use of passive voice and being succinct.

Now I get to this new career. I am so pumped to do something I've never done before and learn all these new things and what am I confronted with? Writing for the Foreign Service. Here are some tips on writing diplomatic cables: don't use passive voice and be succinct. Haha. Awesome. The two things I am apparently worst at in writing are the top two tips. You know, my multi-page dissertation will probably get the point across just as well.

This week is even more of a challenge. The two main components are public speaking and answering tough questions. Public speaking is not really new to me since I have given speeches and presentations plenty of times but the topic was always something I was really comfortable with. I have spent a lot of time researching and learning about the past, not the present. So that is an adjustment. The answering tough questions part.....well that is something I will surely improve on after this week is over.

And then.....on to Flag Day.....

2 comments:

  1. Peeps! I can't believe Flag Day is just a few days away! I'm so excited for you, and so excited also to find out where you'll be going!!

    "don't use passive voice and be succinct" ... those were the hardest things I had to learn in grad school, too! Being an English major who was always encouraged to use flowery prose did not come in handy in my research and analysis class. Ugh. I hope you find it easier to adjust than I did!

    Best of luck this week, Peeps! I'll be thinking of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:urgentloan22@gmail.com
    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete