Friday, July 27, 2012

Time flies

It is already the end of week two, which is just amazing. I have learned more in these two weeks than in an entire semester of grad school I think!

So far, it has been great. The people, both in my class and the others we've met, have all been amazing. I have not met a person that wasn't kind, helpful, and generous. I am sure I will not always feel this way about all the people I meet in this job but at this point I am hopeful! Haha.

Class is overwhelming but it's good. It is unlike any other job I've had. When I go home at the end of the day, I'm not done being a responsible government employee, which will be even more true when I'm living overseas at the grace of a host government.

Scott has been able to visit, which is nice, but only two weeks in and already it's not easy. He left this morning at 6am and if all goes well he will be back on Tuesday evening. And that will be after he worked a full day and then drove for 7 hours. We know this wasn't going to be easy but already I don't like it.

When he was training in Oklahoma we went three weeks without seeing each other. And although it was never fun we made it through just fine. There were a lot of Skype sessions where I just sat in front of my computer for hours and did homework and he studied. That is really not possible here so far. He works some evenings and when he doesn't work either he or I are out doing something. I'm glad we are out instead of barricading ourselves inside but I think we are already feeling the impact of not talking so often. We are the kind of people who speak on the phone multiple times a day even when we were coming home to the same house at night. Days without constant interaction are not normal for us.

I like to think this will get easier but I am sure it will be anything but. The longer we keep this up the more we will benefit financially (our hope is to go overseas as close to debt-free as possible). But at what point do we decide the sacrifice isn't worth the potential gains?

In other news, we are mere weeks from flag day! I cannot believe it is so close! Our bid lists are due soon and there are so many amazing places on the list. Each day a new one becomes my favorite and I wish I could make a list of all the places I hope to go to someday. Soon I will be able to focus on one of them as the location for our next adventure in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment