Monday, June 25, 2012

History Moment

Today has been a good day. In the past couple days the stress has started to get to me. There is still do much for me to do and I was also trying to get things with my current job figured out. I was getting overwhelmed. I was glad for today, a break from work and time for me to get things figured out.

After getting some calls and emails out in the morning I drove to the neighboring city of Wooster to visit a little store called Friendtique. It was a cute little place that probably sells one of everything. And in the basement I found great clothes for my new job. Instead of two suit jackets I now have four. At least I feel a little more prepared!

The last week it was pretty warm here. Actually, that's an understatement. It was sweltering here. A house with no AC makes it seem even hotter. Thankfully today is beautiful. The sun is out but a nice breeze chills the air; it feels like fall. I decided to take advantage of the weather and take a walk...to the cemetery.

My interest in cemeteries has led some people to believe I'm odd. I think I really upset a poor girl in Scotland when I insisted on taking a walk through the cemetery next to Stirling Castle. She wouldn't even come inside the gate. Lucky for me, my husband totally gets this crazy hobby of mine. He points out cemeteries when we are on drives and says things like, "ooo, look at that one. You'd love to go there."

I spent this afternoon in Ashland's cemetery. It's a very hilly cemetery, which is unusual for me since most of the cemeteries in Colorado are pretty flat. Even the ones in the mountains. One of my favorite cemeteries is the one in Como, Colorado. Why? Because its full of history. Really, all cemeteries are full of history but I just happen to know a lot about Como's. I'll have to write about that sometime. It's fascinating stuff.

The Ashland cemetery was really lovely and very peaceful. I think that might be another reason why I like them. It's always so peaceful to walk through a cemetery.

I look forward to walking through cemeteries in other countries. Seeing how different cultures remember their dead says a lot about their history and their society. China was interesting because their culture is steeped in ancestor worship. There were some of our neighbors who remembered their ancestors in their own homes and celebrated their memory in the street. I look forward to learning the practices of all different cultures.

Beautiful View of the Ashland Cemetery. 

This tombstone is partially obscured by this tree. I couldn't read it to guess how long it had been there before it had been overtaken. The tree itself was a little unusual. It creaked the entire time I stood there, as if it might split into two at any moment. Maybe it will someday.


As I was walking as I saw many tombstones with the names of a husband and wife with the date of death for only one member of the couple. This is not unusual I know. My grandparents have exactly this. But I wondered, is there one where the person clearly cannot still be alive but they have no date of death listed? And lo and behold in one of the oldest parts of the cemetery I found one. Elizabeth, born in 1818, is surely not still living. What became of her? Where did she go that she did not join her husband here? What kind of life did she have? If I thought I could find her in the public records I would. If I was going to be living in this city longer that is exactly what I would be doing. But since I am leaving soon her life will remain a mystery to us all. This is why I love cemeteries.

2 comments:

  1. My list of cemeteries to take you to when you visit is up to 5... but they're all pretty spectacular and very historical!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granary_Burying_Ground

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Chapel_Burying_Ground

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copp%27s_Hill_Burying_Ground

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Burial_Ground_%28Woburn,_Massachusetts%29

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Auburn_Cemetery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peeps! I am so thrilled to visit all the cemeteries!

      Delete