Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I love who we've become

The transition from living in Colorado to living in Ohio has made us very different people. I don't think this necessarily has anything to do with the states themselves but rather the lifestyle we have.

In Colorado, Scott was working 60+ hours a week, I worked full time and for the last two years was also in grad school and we were both involved in church and other activities. In Ohio, Scott works 40 hours a week, no more no less, and I work less than forty hours. We don't know many people so our activities outside of work are greatly diminished (with the foreign service on the horizon we are even less inclined to make new friends now). At first, we didn't know what to do with all this free time. But now we do. We have become book-reading, walking, P90X people.

Now, I was always a book lover but lately my wonderful husband has joined me and it has been amazing. Instead of zoning out to tv when we get home like we did in CO we sit on our porch and read. He read the Lord of the Rings trilogy and now that I finished the Hunger Games he has moved on to them.

And P90x! Well, that is much more him than I. Scott has been keeping up with the regimen faithfully and I just flit in and out as I see fit. tonight I agreed without knowing what I was in for. I was doing the warm up just fine but when the host started making incorrect comments about the geographical position of Belgium I decided I needed my headphones. I got pretty into my music and frequently broke into dance instead of doing pull ups (my playlist is that awesome). There may have been one moment that completely devolved into a dance party, with Scott's complete participation. At another point I was distracted by a world map (the north pole is very interesting...).

Needless to say I am no longer exercising and am instead writing this but no matter. I love the people we are here. Healthier, more active, and generally more excited about the future. We miss family, friends, and even the scenery of Colorado but we don't miss who we were there. Hopefully the new life we are about to embrace will lend itself to our new personas, and I have a good feeling that will be the case.

Now, I must go dance because Scott is making me feel bad for just sitting here while he continues to work out. I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Things I love about this post:

    -"when the host started making incorrect comments about the geographical position of Belgium I decided I needed my headphones"

    -"At another point I was distracted by a world map"

    Also, you may need to share your workout playlist with me, because none I've made has ever made me want to break into spontaneous dance! I think that would make my workouts much happier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Thanks Peeps! And I will be sure to share my playlist with you. Its good stuff!

      Delete