Monday, June 18, 2012

Travel Orders

My travel orders have arrived, which is just another step toward this new job feeling real. Of course, since I received them last Friday they have already been amended twice and now I am still waiting for the latest amendment. I have a feeling this a taste of my future life, one of constant change.

I was once told being in the foreign service is like living in a constant state of flux. At the time, I just listened and went on being really excited about this new opportunity. But as I get further into the process I see how that short phrase speaks volumes about what this life really entails. Right now we are trying to decide when Scott will join me in D.C. or if he will come there at all. This is what the people amending my travel orders want to know and this is probably the question I am asked most frequently after "what country will you be going to?" And the answer is always the same: it depends.

It depends on my first post assignment. It depends on how training goes in his job. It depends on how they react to his leaving the facility. It depends on whether or not Midwest ATC (overseas air traffic control contractors) has a presence in that country. It depends. I think this is the new phrase to describe my professional life. But the best part is, this all works for me. I have never been one that needed to have a firm plan for the future. I wanted to rearrange the furniture in our house every few months because I craved change. Now I get to decide what furniture stays and what furniture goes. Of course, it all depends....

No comments:

Post a Comment